Asia Institute Publications 1999
- Wu YJ 1999. The Development of Aspectual Systems in the Chinese-Xiang Dialects. Sociales: Paris: Ecole des Hautes. Zeudes en Sciences. ISBN 2 9102 1603 9
Authored - other (including translations)
- Ricklefs M 1999. Manson, Hanson and the New Tribalism. 21pp. Melbourne: Melbourne Institute of Asian Languages & Societies. ISBN 0 7340 1744 8
Chapter in Books
- Budiman A 1999. The 1998 Crisis: Change and continuity in Indonesia, in Budiman A, Hatley B and Kingsbury D (eds) Reformasi. Crisis and Change in Indonesia, 4-58, Clayton: Monash Asia Institute. ISBN 0 7326 1179 2
- Budiman A 1999. Modern Indonesian Art: A Struggle for Identity, in O'Neill H and Lindsey T (eds) Awas! Recent art from Indonesia, 3-5, Bendigo: Indonesian Arts Society. ISBN 0 9589 2253 5
- Saeed A 1999. Indonesian Islamic banking in historical and legal context, Indonesian Law & Society, 323-338, Sydney: The Federation Press. ISBN 1 8628 7311 9
- Wu Y 1999. Changsha Fanyan de Yufa (The Grammar of the Changsha Dialect), Changsha Fangyan Yanjiu (Research on the Changsha Dialect), 302-347, Changsha, Hunan, PRC: Hunan Jiaoyu Press. ISBN 7 5355 2744 2 / G 2739
- Abdullah A-S 1999. The Dawn of Islam in West Africa. At-Tajdid. (6): 127-150.
- Adelaar KA 1999. Malay: A short history. South Pacific Journal of Psychology. 10 (1): 14-24.
- Elder C, Warren J, Hajek J, Manwaring D & Davies A 1999. Metalinguistic knowledge: How important is it in studying a language at University. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics. 22, 1 81 - 95.
- Gao J 1999. The patterns and processes of family wealth accumulation among mainland Chinese migrants in Australia. Population & Economics. 3 47-52.
- Hashimoto Y, Hirata M & Tasaki K 1999. An investigation into students' perception of communicative classroom activities: A comparison between students of Chinese and non-Chinese backgrounds. Nihongo Kyoiku / Journal of Japanese Language Teaching. 103 (December 1999): 89-98.
- Kamal M 1999. The Revival of al- Qadariyyah in Modern Islamic Thought. Journal of Arabic, Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies. 5 (1): 37-43.
- Noguchi S 1998. Returning to the homeland: Perceptions of linguistic change among overseas Japanese instructors. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics. Series S, Number 15 18.
- Ricklefs MC 1999. Time and time again in Java. History Today. 49 (10): 34-41.
- Saeed A 1999. Rethinking 'Revelation' as a Precondition for Reinterpreting the Qur'an: A Qur'anic Perspective. Journal of Qur'anic Studies. 1 (1): 93-114.
- Saeed A 1999. Rethinking Citizenship Rights of Non-Muslims in an Islamic State: Rashid al-Ghannushi's contribution to the evolving debate. Journal of Islam and Christian - Muslim Relations. 10 (3): 307-323.
- Saeed A 1999. Towards religious tolerance through reform in Islamic education: The case of the State Institute of Islamic Studies of Indonesia. Indonesia and the Malay World. 27 (79): 177-191.
- Stevens CS 1999. Rocking the Bomb: A Case Study in the Politicization of Popular Culture. Japanese Studies. 19 (1): 49-67.
- Toyoda E 1999. Teaching kanji by focusing on learners' development of graphemic awareness. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics. Series S (No 15): 155-168.
- Wu Y 1999. An Ztymological study of disposal and passive markers in Human dialects. Journal of Chinese Linguistics. 27 90-123.
- Hashimoto Y 1999. Relations between student's SPOT scores and course achievement: a report from the University of Melbourne. Development of SPOT (Simple Performance-Oriented Test) for the purpose of placing Japanese language students, 4: Tsukuba Japan: Institute of Literature & Linguistics, University of Tsukuba.
- Lafitte G 1999. Tibetan futures: imagining collective destinies. Futures. 31 155- 169.
- Pollard N 1999. Baduy masyarakat yang mandiri. Pelangi. 15, No.4 (Summer Issue 1999): 17-19.
- Ricklefs MC 1999. Cultural and electoral geography in Indonesia. Interactions: Journal of the Geography Teachers Association of Victoria Inc. 27 (3): 8-11.
Major Reference Work
- Bao H, Cui Z, Shen R & Wu Y 1999. Changsha Fangyan Cidian (The Dictionary of the Changsha Dialect). Changsha Fangyan Cidian, 334 Nanjing, Jiangsu, PRC: Jiangsu Jiaoyu Chubanshe.
- Luo Y 1999. A dictionary of Dehong, Southwest China. A dictionary of Dehong, Southwest China, Pacific Linguistics C-145: of 1 Vols., X1 + 298 Canberra: Pacific Linguistics, Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, The Australian National University.
A Review of Several Works
- Adelaar KA 1999. Topics in descriptive Austronesian linguistics: a review. Oceania Linguistics, 38 (2): 417-421.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Adelaar KA 1999. Retrieving Siraya phonology: a new spelling for a dead language. Selected Papers from the Eighth International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics, Zeitoun E and Li PJ (eds), Selected Papers from the Eighth International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics, 313-354. Taipei: Symposium Series of the Institute of Linguistics (Preparatory Office) Academia Sinica, Number 1.
- Du L 1999. Traditional prejudice against Wu as medical healers in Guang Xi. Shaofen Y (ed), Research on Han Nationality's Regional Culture, 1: 391- 398. Guangxi: Guangxi People's Publishing House.
- Kato F 1999. Classroom Activity: Learning Strategies Report. JALT98 Proceedings, Barfield A (ed), JALT98 Proceedings, 23,13: 110-118. Tokyo, Japan: JALT Central Office.
- Luo Y 1999. The role of Thai in historical Chinese linguistics. Proceedings of the Melbourne Thai Forum Seminar, Charters WWS and Aye L (eds), Proceedings of the Melbourne Thai Forum Seminar, 51-58. Melbourne: The International Technologies Centre, Faculty of Engineering, The University of Melbourne.
- Ohashi J 1999. How do the learners of Japanese language maintain debt-credit equilibrium?: Speech act realisations of Chinese and Australian learners of Japanese in request, thanking and refusal. Prospects for Japanese Studies in the 21st century, Society of Japanese Language Education (ed), Prospects for Japanese Studies in the 21st century, 592- 599. Hong Kong: Himawari Publishing Company.
Non-Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Harrison R, Inman D, Saita I & Toyoda E 1999. Collaborative teaching and learning of Japanese using the Internet.
- Lafitte G 1999. Development in Tibetan History. Roundtable symposium on sustainable development in contemporary Tibet, 2-12. Victoria, Australia.
- Lafitte G 1999. Off-farm employment in rural Tibet: Prospects for strengthening Tibetan development. Roundtable symposium on sustainable development in contemporary Tibet, Victoria, Australia.
- Toyoda E, Saita I, Harrison R, Inman D, Debski R & Iguchi Y 1999. Web page creation project - Learning Japanese language using Internet. Research Report of Japan Educational Technology Conference, Sendai.
Contract/Technical Report or Working / Occasional Paper
- Lafitte G 1999. Making autonomy work for Tibetans: A report on work in progress within the Tibetan government. Socially engaged Buddhism for the New Millennium.